In the end, though, I guess I didn’t have much to say about a lot of music that came out this year. I do try and set the bar high for myself, meaning that if I have something to say, I better say it well. Also, with some styles of music (such as hip-hop), I don’t feel like I have the expertise to really comment on it well.
In this post, I want to make some amends, and a mention is probably better than nothing. Instead of doing a top 10 albums or my biggest disappointments (like the Sounds Opinions annual Turkey Shoot), I’m just going to list some albums I listened to this year, divided into two groups: 1) albums I’m thinking about buying because I mostly enjoyed them, but didn’t have a lot to say about them (and obviously weren't so strong that I bought them right away) and 2) albums I’m not thinking about buying, meaning I seriously considered buying them, but ended up taking them off my wishlist after I listened to them. For the second group, I don’t think any of them are bad necessarily, but I didn’t think they were worth buying, either.
Albums I’m still thinking about buying:
- Courtney Barnett: Sometimes I Sit and Think, and And Sometimes I Just Sit
- Wilco: Star Wars (note: this was free, and I don’t regret downloading it)
- Sufjan Stevens: Carrie and Lowell
- Sleater-Kinney: No Cities to Love
- Churches: Every Open Eye - I loved their first album; I was excited by the first single for this album, too, but it was mostly a letdown. I may still buy that single.
- The Decemberists: What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World - I mean, it was okay, but none of the tracks really grabbed me.
- Watkins Family Hour - I got excited about this when I saw their tiny desk concert (link), but the songs they did for that turned out to to be the only one good tracks on the album.
- Joanna Newsom: Divers - I probably needed more time to get into it, but am not willing to put in that time.
- Björk: Vulnicura - ditto.
- Passion Pit: Kindred
- Glen Hansard: Didn’t He Ramble
- Rhiannon Giddens: Tomorrow is My Turn - My one #TweetReview for the year, which was not a positive one.
- Joy Williams: VENUS - Definitely some good tracks, but not as strong as her Civil Wars records.
What albums did you buy this year, or were thinking of buying but changed your mind later? Should I rethink any of my album decisions?